|Table of Contents||Introduction|
West Woods is a four hundred acre beach and woodland area owned by the Shinnecock Tribe. The woodland and beach area is used for contemporary social gatherings, weddings, celebrations, camping, and sweat lodge ceremonies.
In recent times, West Woods has been encroached upon with it’s blurred boundaries.
The earliest record of West Woods appears in Belcher Hyde’s 1916 map.
Again in the later 1929 Dolph Stewart map.
- Gaynell Stone, The Shinnecock Indians – A Culture History Vol VI, pp. 164 ↩