|Table of Contents||Introduction|
Patuckquapaug, located on the edge of what is now known as Round Pond in Sag Harbor, was once a village site for what was likely a subgroup of the Shinnecock.
The indigenous name for the village and pond were not recorded, however the name Patuckquapaug has been appropriated from another text that describes a Round Lane in Connecticut:
Patuckquapaen and Tuscumcatick are noted in French’s Gazetteer as names of record in what is now the town of Greenbush, Rensselaer County, without particular location. The first is in part Algonquian and in part Dutch. The original was, no doubt, Patuckquapaug, as in Greenwich, Ct., meaning “Round pond.” The Dutch changed paug to paen descriptive of the land – low land – so we have, as it stands, “Round Land,” “elevated hassocks of earth, roots,” etc. 1
- New York State Historical Association, 1906, pp. 62
Round Pond, described in the History of the Town of Southampton; 1
Beside many individual lodge sites, a number of villages of considerable size existed and have been located. . .tradition relates that long after the settlement by the whites, their wigwams stood at the end of Round Pond.
- James Truslow Adams, History of The Town of Southampton, 1918, pp. 29